Angry outburst by Board of Education member interrupts executive session

SHEILA A. MATHEWS :::

An angry outburst by a Board of Education member interrupted an executive session that began shortly after tonight’s special called meeting began

Mike Kendall, also a Griffin attorney, briefly walked out of the executive session, and speaking to Superintendent Curtis Jones said, “You need to go call 911 because somebody’s about to get jumped on in there. You need to go see about it.”

Kendall re-entered the private board room and the executive session is ongoing.

The Board of Education entered into executive session for the purpose of discussing a personnel issue.

The Grip will remain at tonight’s meeting and provide updates on any further developments.

Advertisements

Comments

1. Kathy Noble says:

When a meeting goes into closed session, the reason, such as a personnel issue, is listed on the agenda.

2. Ms. Matthews, if you were not allowed inside the meeting, yet you reported that the meeting was called due to “a personnel issue”, this is secondhand information, and therefore cannot be

• Rather than reply to both your identical comments, I’ll allow this to stand for both. Had you been at last night’s meeting, you would know that BoE Chairman James Westbury, in seeking a motion to enter executive session, publicly stated it’s purpose. That is part of the public record, ma’am. Should my word of that be insufficient for you, I’ll happily provide irrefutable proof of the accuracy and truthfulness of my work.
      As for the overall reliability of my work, that is for each reader to discern.

3. Kristen E. Weeks says:

Ms. Matthews, if you were not allowed inside the meeting, yet you reported that the meeting was called due to “a personnel issue”, this is secondhand information, and therefore cannot be deemed as entirely accurate, unless you were inside the actual meeting and heard this stated firsthand. I agree with the previous commentator(s) who stated that this article was published prematurely, in that it offers no useful information other than to spark gossip about Mr. Kendall based on incomplete and somewhat unreliable information.

4. Anonymous says:

I think this is a gossip report even if this is not a gossip site. I’m glad to know this is the only thing out of the whole school board meeting worth (falsely) reporting. This article blatantly insuates that Mike Kendall caused the outburst or lack there of at this meeting. So if that’s not what happened that is surely what you said and obviously what you meant to say since you are standing beside the statement so firmly. It’s not hard to comprehend this elementary article and that is what I read.

• I’m glad you found my writing easy to understand. That’s the goal of every writer. Thanks for your input.

• Anonymous says:

You are very welcome. If you have personal issues with someone blog about it don’t turn into ‘news’.

• I don’t create the news, nor do I have a problem with Mr. Kendall. I simply reported – factually and accurately – an incident that occurred during last night’s Board of Education meeting. Nothing more.

5. Indira Kendall says:

People can congregate for hours at a time on social media to defame people who actually get out of the house and attempt to create a change in the community! The question is what did you report? The reason the meeting was called? The outcome of the meeting? I am confused is this a news site or some sort of gossip site?

• If you actually read the article, you’ll see that the meeting’s purpose was reported, but your input is appreciated.

• Aja K. Kendall says:

Just because he came outside and said something doesn’t mean he was the one causing the outburst inside of the actual meeting.

• And I never reported on anyone’s conduct in the executive session. I’m unable to report on something I didn’t see.
        I realize you’re displeased with my coverage, but what was reported was completely factually accurate. Have a nice evening, ma’am.

• Indira Kendall says:

Exactly, this is seemingly a false report as if he caused the outburst, you dont know who caused it but that did not stop you from reporting it and using his name as if he is the only member of the school board. At least follow up with your report and clear it up because he had nothing at all to do with the outburst.

• Ma’am, Mr. Kendall did say and act as I reported. I was there. We’re you?

• Aja K. Kendall says:

Exactly. You’re unable to report what you didn’t see. What was going on inside was the reason he came out and said what he said. Maybe you should’ve been inside reporting what was actually going on instead of outside reporting this.

• As you may not know, the public isn’t allowed in executive sessions or I most assuredly would have been there.
        I’ve absolutely no interest in prolonging this back-and-forth with you as you obviously weren’t present and are unaware of the laws governing such matters, but if your father himself wishes to address this issue with me personally, I welcome that conversation. Again, have a great evening.

6. Thomas Thurston says:

Shining example for our community. And we think trash cans on a curb will keep folks from wanting to live in Griffin.

7. So the lawyer is threatening acts of violence? How…(I started to say ‘ironic,’ but I know this lawyer’s rep so we’ll go with) typical.

• Indira Kendall says:

As if you know at all what is going on with the school board/board of education let alone Mike Kendall. This article does not even report ONE fact about anything that went on at the meeting! How ‘ignorant’ for you to comment about something to have no information about. When a community activist feels deeply about an issue that the city is faced with tempers may flare but you were not even there, you do not even know why the meeting was called! Go back to bed stop laying up with these poorly reported “Grip” articles & facebook all day!

• What I reported did occur during the meeting and I stand 100 percent behind the validity and accuracy of what was written.

• Aja K. Kendall says:

Right. And Mrs. Shelia you’re so quick to post negative things but where were you on on January 17th when Griffins got Talent was going. A fundraiser for schools in Griffin that My father and others put on every year to raise money. Don’t portray my father in this light because he goes above and beyond for his community and doesnt boast about it or ask for anything in return.

• Ma’am, I was contacted by NO ONE regarding the event you mentioned, nor were any photos or a press release submitted. Had I known, I would have happily reported it. Sounds like an awesome event!

• Aja K. Kendall says:

Well Mr. Blalock maybe you know my father’s “rep” but a reputation is merely others opinions. Something believed by others like you. Im sorry that the community of Griffin doesn’t have other passionate individuals like my father to stand up and say what others don’t want to or don’t have the platform to do so where it will be heard. But my father speaks for many people in the community. He stands firm on his beliefs unlike others on the school board and other community “leaders” that stand idly by and let unacceptable things continue to happen. Sure he may have gone about it the wrong way tonight. But don’t assume that you know my father.