Cause of fatal Saturday morning fire determined

SHEILA A. MATHEWS :::

Officials have determined the cause of a Saturday morning fire at 408 E. McIntosh Road that claimed the lives of two – 44-year-old Christie Lewis and six-year-old Zachaury Sevenstar.

Authorities say an investigation conducted by Spalding County Fire Marshal Harold Williams and State Fire Marshal Mickey Hunt determined the fire originated in the kitchen area of the residence, and resulted from a cigarette that was discarded in a trash can.

Due to heavy flames that had spread throughout the residence, personnel of the Spalding County Fire Department had to remove Lewis and Sevenstar through a window in the rear of their home.

CPR was administered immediately, but Lewis was pronounced dead at the scene by Spalding County Coroner Sonny Foster.

Sevenstar was resuscitated and transported by ambulance to the emergency room of WellStar Spalding Regional Hospital before being flown to the burn unit of Augusta Medical Center.

Foster announced Sunday that Sevenstar had been pronounced brain dead at 12:10 p.m.

The little boy’s family chose to donate young Zachaury’s organs to others.

Conner-Westbury Funeral Home is in charge of the final arrangements.

Advertisements

Comments

  1. Heather Stowe says:

    R.I.P Christy an Zachary we love you fly high angles, y’all will truly be missed

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: